I already have a Cash ISA with another provider, can I transfer this to you?
You can transfer your cash ISA savings to a new provider at any time.
If it’s money you have saved in previous tax years, then it won’t impact your allowance – and you can transfer as much, or as little, as you want.
For instance, you could transfer £15,000 of cash ISA savings from a previous tax year into a new cash ISA and still add a further £20,000 that tax year.
Any current tax-year contributions must be transferred in full though. You’ll have a remaining allowance once the transfer is complete. However, there are a couple of things to bear in mind when transferring your ISA:
1. Firstly, you should never do it by withdrawing the money yourself. Always, speak to your new provider and complete a transfer form. Your new provider will then sort it all out, including contacting your current provider, and moving the money over for you.
2. Secondly, you can only add new savings into one cash ISA in a tax year. This includes existing Help to Buy ISAs and cash ISAs held outside of Darlington Building Society.
3. And lastly, you may lose money if you close a fixed cash ISA before the end of its term so remember to check this with your existing ISA provider.
How do I transfer my ISA?
If you would like to transfer an ISA from a different provider to us, you can visit your local branch who will help you through the process, or alternatively you can follow the steps below.
1. Choose the ISA savings account you would like to open by picking from our ISA range here.
2. Once you have chosen the ISA you would like to open, read the account Summary Box to make sure you are familiar with the terms and conditions of the account, along with the Financial Services Compensation (FSCS) sheet and our General Retail Terms and Conditions.
These can both be found on each of our ISA product pages on our website.
3. Click the ISA Application Pack button located on the product page and complete the ISA application form, don’t forget to provide your national insurance number as this will be needed to open your new ISA.
4. Complete the self-certification form, which is provided in your ISA application pack
5. Once you have followed the above steps, you will need to read and complete the ISA transfer form, which can be downloaded here. This is where you will need your current providers details, including your ISA account number and sort code
6. To open your new ISA with us, you will need to provide two forms of identification. These can be the originals or certified photocopies of your identification documents. To find out what ID we accept, click here
7. Once you have followed the above steps, simply package everything together and you can either send it to one of our branches or drop it in. Then it’s over to us!
We will complete the necessary steps to transfer your ISA and contact you when the transfer is complete.