haven’t moved into the property yet. Can I get the documents delivered to a different address?

Yes, a correspondence address can be given in order for the documents to be sent to an address differing from the address of the property being insured. To change the correspondence address to the address which the policy relates to you must contact us on 0330 100 9602.


Want to speak to a friendly staff member?

Sometimes it's easier to discuss things face-to-face. All our branches have staff ready and waiting to talk. If you’d like to discuss your options or you think you need help, call in at your local branch.

Branch finder

Alternatively call our enquiries line between:

9am and 5pm Monday to Friday or
9am and 12pm on Saturday

Our staff will be more than happy to help with any questions or queries