Buildings & Contents Insurance

Protect your home and contents with our Darlington Home Insurance policy. It provides you with great cover as standard but you also have the flexibility to tailor your policy just the way you want.

Home emergency helpline

Home Emergency Cover may assist policyholders with everyday emergencies e.g. lost keys, burst pipes, blocked toilets etc. When an emergency occurs, we will arrange for one of our approved tradesman on our nationwide list to contact you, stabilise the situation and remove the emergency.

If you have chosen the home emergency optional extra please call 0844 338 5529 regarding a claim under Home Emergency

Helpline open 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year.

This Domestic Emergency Insurance policy is an optional extension and is only included where an additional premium paid


How we can help


This is a home emergency insurance policy which covers your home against the cost of emergency repairs up to £500.00 (including VAT), subject to a maximum of £1,500 (including VAT) in any one period of insurance.A repairer will be sought to evaluate and carry out emergency repair for:
• Burst Pipes
• Break in or vandalism
• Failure of domestic water supply, gas supply or electricity
• Total failure of central heating
• Pest infestation
• Uninhabitable accommodation, as a consequence of an emergency

These benefits must be read in conjunction with the full terms, conditions, exclusions and eligibility criteria, which are explained in full in the Home Emergency policy wording

Policy Document (PDF)

What constitutes an emergency?

An emergency is a sudden unforeseen event which requires immediate corrective action to prevent damage or further damage to your home, to make your home safe and secure and to alleviate any unreasonable discomfort or risk.

Does Home Emergency include cover for general maintenance of my home?

No. This policy only offers cover if a home emergency occurs and a tradesman is needed to make your home safe, secure and to prevent further damage.

I already have a policy for home emergencies, will this cover be the same?

If you have an existing policy, you’ll need to consider which policy is better for you, before deciding to add this additional cover so that you only have one policy in place., please read the full policy documentation to help you make your decision.

Darlington Building Society will introduce you to Uinsure Limited who will undertake the selling and administration of your home insurance policy. The home insurance policy is underwritten from a panel of insurers. Details of the insurer applicable to this insurance will be stated within your policy schedule.

The Home Emergency policy is arranged by Uinsure, underwritten by Inter Partner Assistance Societe Anonyme which is fully owned by the AXA Assistance Group and administered by Arc Legal Assistance Limited. The Legal Expenses policy is arranged by Uinsure, underwritten by Inter Partner Assistance SA and Administered by Legal Insurance Management Limited.

Darlington Building Society is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Uinsure Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Want to speak to a friendly staff member?

Sometimes it's easier to discuss things face-to-face. All our branches have staff ready and waiting to talk. If you’d like to discuss your options or you think you need help, call in at your local branch.

Branch finder

Alternatively call our enquiries line between:

9am and 5pm Monday to Friday (9:30am and 5pm Tuesday) or
9am and 12pm on Saturday

Our staff will be more than happy to help with any questions or queries