Tracing a lost account

We want to re-unite our members with their lost or forgotten savings accounts.  Lost accounts are also sometimes known as 'dormant' accounts or 'unclaimed assets'.

What should I do if I think I might have a lost account?

You can search for a lost account with us (or any building society, bank or National Savings and Investments) by searching online - you can visit to help you trace a lost account. This is a free service.


What should I do if I receive a letter from Darlington Building Society?

We have recently written to all members who we think have a 'dormant' account with us. If you receive a letter, please make sure that you follow the steps in the letter to contact us to confirm your account is still active. 

Why should I trace my account now?

In 2009, the government introduced a new unclaimed assets scheme. Under this scheme, financial institutions will transfer the funds, which are held in accounts where there has been no activity for 15 years, to a central recovery account with the Bank of England. It will then be distributed to our designated charity. However, this does not mean that you will lose your money under this scheme - you can still reclaim it at any time (with any interest you have earned).