Terms and Conditions
To enter the Competition the Entrant must ensure that: (a) be a resident of the Society’s local operating area (DH, DL, HG, SR, TS, YO postcodes) (b) be within the age limits of the relevant entry category (c) they submit original work (d) have the permission of their parent/carer
2. There are two categories in the competition; Primary School-aged children and Secondary School-aged children.
3. All entries must include the entrant’s name, age and school year, along with the name, email address and contact telephone number of their parent/carer. Without this information, entries will not be valid.
4. All entries including the relevant information will be entered into the Competition. Entries will be shortlisted for each category by a panel chosen by the Society. All shortlisted finalists will be contacted through the contact details given upon entry. Finalists will be invited to a final judging event attended by renowned authors where stories will be read aloud and judged, with a winner in each category chosen immediately upon completion.
5. Entries must begin their story with the term ‘Little did I know…’
6. The maximum amount of words in the story is 500. There is no minimum limit.
7. All entries must be submitted on or before the closing date. The closing date of the competition is Saturday 28 March 2020.
8. Misrepresentative or fraudulent entries will invalidate an entry. The Society reserves the right, with or without cause, to exclude Entrants from the Competition and may also, at its discretion, withhold prizes for violation of any of these terms and conditions.
9. The Publisher reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions. Any amendments will be published on this website you are advised to regularly check the website for any changes.
10. The Publisher reserves the right to publish any entries (in whole or in part) and publication does not necessarily mean the Entrant has won a prize.
11. Entrants will retain copyright in their submitted entries, however, by submitting an entry each Entrant grants The Soceity a worldwide royalty-free, irrevocable and perpetual licence to use the entry in any and all media (including digital and print) for publicity and news purposes. Entries may be condensed to appear in promotional activity and be more succinct.
12. The Society takes no responsibility for any late, lost, illegible, damaged, incomplete or otherwise invalid entry. Entries will not be acknowledged or returned. Any entry or artwork submitted cannot be returned.
13. Other than death or personal injury arising directly from the acts or omissions of the Society or its employees, the Society shall not be liable for any loss or damage arising out of the Winners’ use or enjoyment of any of the prizes sponsored.
14. The Winner acknowledges that the Society accepts no responsibility whether directly or indirectly for any other claims whatsoever arising in respect of the prizes provided.
15. In consideration of winning the Competition, the Winners agree to the use of their names, photographs and general locations for publicity and news purposes during this and future promotions by the Society in print form or over the internet.
16. Winners may be required to submit valid identification before receiving their prize.
17. The Society’s decision, along with that of its judges, is final and binding. No correspondence will be entered into.
18. The Society reserves the right at any time to cancel, modify or supersede the Competition in any manner whatsoever if, at its sole discretion, the Competition is not capable of being conducted as specified.
19. By providing your personal details you agree to GDPR regulations in that your details will be held by the Society for the purposes of this competition.
20. Each category winner will receive: (a) Their own height in books (b) £500 worth of book vouchers for their school (c) A family magical ride experience
21. The remaining finalists in each category will receive: (a) £10 Voucher for Waterstones
22. In the event of any dispute as to the operation of these terms and conditions or the provision of the prize, the Society’s decision is final.
23. By entering this competition, all entrants will be deemed to have accepted the terms and conditions as stated here.
Don't forget to fill in our consent form available here and submit it along with your story!